[Koha] AMH sorters Backdating feature and Koha fines.

Raymund Delahunty r.delahunty at arts.ac.uk
Sat Nov 9 01:57:39 NZDT 2019

We recently installed three AMH sorters sourced from Bibliotheca and had a puzzling problem where almost 3,000 items appear to have been returned at 6am on 28th August. We now believe this is down to the Backdating feature on one of the sorters being turned on, and accidently left on for weeks. When the items were actually returned, Koha set the old_issues.returndate field to the 28th of August, but the old_issues.timestamp was stamped with the moment the item is actually returned. This has caused havoc with the fines calculation, where it appears the full fine was calculated right up to the actual return date and then a *credit* is applied to deal with Koha thinking the item was retuned on the 28th August. We are on 18.11 and with the new way Koha now handles debits and credits, fixing the problem on hundreds of user accounts would be tricky (even if we had the capacity to start doing it!). If you use the new AMH sorters and see lots of lines in old_issues.returndate field having a 6am time stamp (5am now that the clocks have changed here in the UK) that should ring alarm bells. I did suggest to Bibliotheca that it would be great if there was an on-screen warning when the Backdating feature was in force, but this enhancement request wasn't rated highly. So it is a staff training matter I guess.

Ray Delahunty

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and/or its attachments you must not take any action based upon them and you must not copy or show them to anyone. Please send the email back to us and immediately and permanently delete it and its attachments. Where this email is unrelated to the business of University of the Arts London or of any of its group companies the opinions expressed in it are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of University of the Arts London (or the relevant group company). Where the sender's signature indicates that the email is sent on behalf of UAL Short Courses Limited the following also applies: UAL Short Courses Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 02361261. Registered Office: University of the Arts London, 272 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EY