[Koha] adjusting MARC field SQL query for indicator?

Eric Phetteplace ephetteplace at cca.edu
Thu May 16 04:51:35 NZST 2019

Hi Jason,

Indicators can be retrieved from the usual biblio_metadata database field.
Much like you use "//datafield[@tag={code}]" to retrieve specific MARC
fields, you can use "//datafield[@ind1={value}]" to get fields with
particular indicator values, and you can combine these two expressions to
look at both like "//datafield[@tag={code}][@ind1={value}]". So to answer
your specific question:

SELECT biblio.biblionumber, biblio.title
FROM biblio_metadata
JOIN biblio ON (biblio_metadata.biblionumber = biblio.biblionumber)
WHERE ExtractValue (metadata, '//datafield[@tag="100"][@ind1="0"]') <> ''

You can also combine multiple attribute expressions (the bracketed ones
with "@" symbols) in this manner: '//datafield[@tag="100" and @ind1="0"]',
either way will work. Changing the "@ind1=0" to "@ind1=3" will suit the
other half of your query.

---

As an aside, for anyone who may be interested, this strange-looking second
argument to ExtractValue() isn't random magic, it's an XPath expression and
you can learn its syntax and then use it to navigate MARCXML (or any XML)
documents. Maybe a bit overkill once you've memorized the 2-3 things you
need to do in Koha reports but XPath is a generally useful tool I
find. The W3Schools
tutorials <https://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_xpath.asp> are pretty good and
obviously our Koha catalogs provide a bevy of XML records to work with.

Best,

ERIC PHETTEPLACE Systems Librarian (he/him)

ephetteplace at cca.edu | o 510.594.3660

5212 Broadway | Oakland, CA | 94618