[Koha] Subject Wise Report

Tsu-Shuan Chang tschang.ucdavis at gmail.com
Wed May 1 14:42:49 NZST 2019

Hi Joel,

Regarding your email, our church is not so advanced. Basically, we need to
catalogue items including books, DVDs, youth books, etc. We can self check
out and just leave a borrowing card. Of course, we can lose some books in
this way, but not too many. I'll try to put some thinking starting with an
* on the topics I asked.

Response to:  Please reply to the mailing list so that others can
participate.

I am new and have two questions.

(1)  Can we back up in MARC21 format? If yes, how?

* This is the data we entered. There are two parts for each item (book for
example). Part 1 is all the information regarding the book in MARC21
format. Part 2 is to add the item including the access number. If we can do
back up by including all the information we entered, we do not lose any
information.

* It seems to me that this can be done just by modifying the programs a
little bit for someone knows koha and C++ well. Since MAC21 information is
on screen already. We can use the same program by just putting the output
into a text file with delimter for each item and going though all the
records. Although this may not be the most efficient way, it seems feasible.

(2)  Can we restore the data from above mentioned MARC21 format? If yes,
how?

* To use the back up in (1), it seems that we can write programs which goes
through each record and enter the data again by computer directly. This
means that we can read the back up file for each book, and enter that
information by bypassing the graphical input on the screen. By this way, no
matter what database we use, we can recover all data this way. Of course,
this may be slow. But for small enough library, it should not take a very
long time. This may not be efficient, but should be able to be done
quickly. With (1) and (2) together, such a back up should be universal
since we re-enter ther same informattion.

# Unfortunately, I do not know C++ and only a little on C. I cannot do this
myself. If the new version includes this feature, it should solve problems
in the future like what we encountered.

I ask the questions since we have an old koha, maybe in version 1,  running
on Window XP and the computer is totally dead. If the above can be done, it
is totally independent of the machine and database used. At least for small
library, it should not take too much time to use the backup this way and
recover the data no matter what database is used.

Thanks.

Tsu-Shuan