[Koha] Error message shown during web installation

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Sat Jun 15 11:04:14 NZST 2019

On 2019-06-14 10:07 a.m., Indranil Baruah wrote:
> Following error is shown during web installation of Koha 19.05 on Lubuntu
> 19.04. The installation however completes but the speed of the application
> is slow even with Memcached running.

Happy to see you have Koha running. As to speed, here are a few thoughts
based on many years of Koha (but not specifically 19.05) experience:

	- you mention Lubuntu, which might be a desktop (GUI) implementation. A
_server_ implementation would probably be more suitable -- ubuntu,
debian are good choices. Desktops have overheads that use resources
unnecessary for Koha.

	- you mention memcached. How much memory have you allocated? look in
your /etc/memcached.conf and increase "-m" from the default 64 to 4096
(or at least 2048.)

	- you do not mention the hardware that you are using. We have found
that, as long as you have at least 16 Mbs RAM, the CPU's L2 and L3 cache
across a large number of cores is the most determining factor. To give
you an example, on an old box with (inxi reporting) "Quad core Intel
Core i7-2600 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB" needs approx 1.21 secs for a
Zebra search, whereas a dual motherboard "6 core Intel Core i7-8700K
(-MT-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB" (i.e. 12 core, with overlapping 2 x 12288 KB
CPU cache) does exactly the same job in 0.048 seconds. (This for a
240,000 item db.)

The bottom line is that Koha is a very "big" application, that does an
awful lot of things for an awful lot of varying libraries and end users.
The sheer size and complexity of all the improvements that have been
integrated over the years has inevitably led to to either "hardware
upgrades" or as you write "the application is slow."

There might well be other reasons that you have found your installation
to be "slow." Perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know how you
did your installation (package? tarball?) and the size of your database
(number of biblios and items?), any log entries that could assist, and
some idea of your hardware. There are many helpful and knowledgeable
people on this list who, in my experience, would be most enthusiastic to
try and help you.

Best -- Paul