[Koha] Update OS vs Update Koha

Coehoorn, Joel jcoehoorn at york.edu
Fri Jun 14 08:45:54 NZST 2019

First, some background.

We currently have a Koha server running 17.05. This server has been updated
in place since sometime in 2012 or 2013, going back at least to version
3.04. For a variety of reasons, it's time to start over with our Koha
install.

To that end, I had setup a new Ubuntu 18.04 server and installed Koha 18.11
via the packages. Going forward, I hope to not fall two years behind again,
but during the re-implementation phase we did not want to do and updates.

Today I ran "apt upgrade" on the Ubuntu server console, and to my surprise
watched the new server update koha-common to 19.05. My prior experience is
this does **not** normally update the koha-common packages. Instead, I
would need to change the sources or do a dist-upgrade.

What did I miss here? In the future, how can I update the OS without
updating the Koha application? I want to be able to install linux, apache,
etc security updates during an academic term, and be able to save the koha
application updates for between terms, when have down-time for review and
staff training.

Joel Coehoorn
Director of Information Technology
402.363.5603
*jcoehoorn at york.edu <jcoehoorn at york.edu>*

*Please contact helpdesk at york.edu <helpdesk at york.edu> for technical
assistance.*

The mission of York College is to transform lives through
Christ-centered education and to equip students for lifelong service to
God, family, and society