[Koha] Cataloging tables, chairs, etc.

Mark Alexander marka at pobox.com
Fri Dec 27 07:03:52 NZDT 2019

Our little library is planning to lend out things like folding tables, folding
chairs, cake pans, tools, and all sorts of other equipment.  I'm trying
to figure out the best way to set up circulation rules for these things.

My initial thought was to minimize the number of items types, and hence
circulations rules.  So we could have item types called "EQUIPMENT-3DAYS",
"EQUIPMENT-1WEEK", and "EQUIPMENT-1MONTH", the names of which reflect
how long the circulation period would be.  Then the various things
we could lend out would fall into one of these buckets.  But this means
that if a user was searching for items by item type in the OPAC, cake
pans might be listed next to power drills, and so forth.  Maybe that's OK;
I don't know.

I was wondering how other libraries deal with this kind of thing.

Thanks in advance!