[Koha] Experimenting with Authorities LinkerOptions and Elasticsearch

Myka Kennedy Stephens mkstephens at lancasterseminary.edu
Mon Dec 9 15:29:14 NZDT 2019

Hello,

I'm doing some testing/refining of authority record mapping in
Elasticsearch and thought that I would also try the broader_headings
setting for LinkerOptions as described here:
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Bug7284_authority_matching_improvement

I'm noticing some strange things and inconsistencies. Could someone who is
more familiar with using broader_headings in LinkerOptions tell me if this
is unusual or normal?

1. When adding a bibliographic record: the linker did not automatically
link on a broader heading (i.e., it didn't strip the free-floating
subdivision to find a match); it worked when there was an exact match.
2. When editing the bibliographic record with the basic editor and clicking
the link icon next to the heading that didn't automatically link: the
authority search box comes up with the entire heading + free floating
subdivision; removing the free-floating subdivision and performing the
search finds the authority record for the broader heading. Select the
heading to link and the heading + syntax remains the same in the basic
editor. Save changes and the heading is now linked to the authority record
for the broader heading. (Without broader_headings in LinkerOptions, the
free-floating subdivision disappears when I try this.)
3. When editing the record with the advanced editor and using ctrl+shift+L:
do an authority search same as above. Selecting the heading to link will
change the syntax in the advanced editor, stripping the free-floating
subdivision and punctuation.

I'm testing this using Koha Testing Docker on master with ES enabled.

It seems that broader_headings is partially working (see observation from
action #2), but I'd really like it to link automatically on the broader
heading. Is it supposed to? If so, is it not working for me because of ES
or perhaps something else? I think the behavior I'm seeing with linking in
the advanced editor (#3) is a separate issue.

Thanks for your help,
Myka

--
Deaconess Myka Kennedy Stephens, MDiv, MSLIS
Seminary Librarian and Assistant Professor of Theological Bibliography
mkstephens at lancasterseminary.edu
https://library.lancasterseminary.edu