[Koha] Deletion of books from purchase suggestion

Raymund Delahunty r.delahunty at arts.ac.uk
Tue Dec 3 22:29:39 NZDT 2019

We have just addressed the exact same problem, and a lot more. We are in the process of opening up the purchase suggestions functionality and rolling it out to college library staff in our multi-site setup with some significant challenges. (Until now we have managed it a headquarters, and are keen to "delegate"!).

We see scope for improvements to the functionality and will be making suggestions separately. One challenge was here ALL acquisitions functionality is strictly limited and locked down to headquarters staff. The Manage Suggestions permission opens up Acquisitions and we have had to add some JQuery (shared with me at KohaCon19 in Dublin) to ensure that Manage Suggestions works for college librarians but they have ZERO access to Acquisitions. This has entailed listing authorised Acquisitions staff by username in the JQuery in IntranetUser.js file.

The ability for BOTH staff and users to delete suggestions was met with dismay here, as we want to report on all suggestions on a yearly basis. In the absence of an old_suggestions table we now prevent ***both staff and users*** from deleting suggestions once they are made. We will be asking our support company to truncate the suggestions table annually, partly  to address any fears about GDPR (data protection issues in Europe). Our support company have hidden the various delete buttons on the intranet and just yesterday I added the JQuery they provided to our Koha instance to hide the Delete button in the OPAC. We added the following lines to the OpacUserCSS system preference:

#myform > fieldset > input {
display:none;
}
#removeitems > a {
display: none;
}
#selections-toolbar {
display: none;
}
#suggestt > tbody > tr > td > input {
display: none;
}

So far we have not seen anything else hidden by this tweak. It appears to work perfectly.

Ray Delahunty
University of the Arts London