[Koha] Looking for an even more simplified entry

allauthors robert.flach at webtooldeveloper.com
Sat Sep 15 01:42:31 NZST 2018

Hi to the list,

My name is Robert Flach, and I'm the new librarian for a small church
library that was on a card-catalogue system and then managed by several
people who didn't keep up with said catalog.  I've gotten koha installed
(ubuntu package version), and mostly configured.  I've purchased a barcode
scanner and receipt printer and have them working as well.  I would seem to
be on my way.  So my first project is to do a complete inventory, and that
starts with transferring all records into the electronic system from the
card catalog and getting them barcoded.

The big challenge I have is with cataloging non-traditional books.
Basically, I can handle adding records when I can find a MARC Record that I
can download through Z39.50/SRU, but the church library has a very large
contingent of materials that don't have isbn's and don't exist in any Z39.50
db.  Lot's of pamphlets and small self-published books and the like.  I was
looking for a solution that would give me a super simplified entry form for
these types of materials that would match the info that I have available in
the card catalogue (title, author, subject, dewey #, section, barcode), and
which would be halfway readable and usable by my children helpers who are
helping me inventory and catalog everything.  I could live with a few extra
fields, but even the most simplified MARC-looking record interface is
daunting for them (and for me for that matter, though I can get by and have
been reading about marc).

I saw a post on the mailing list from some time ago where someone had
provided an SQL dump of their super simplified BRF Framework that seemed to
be just what I would want, but it was for koha v3.2 or so, and I have
v18.05.  I did a test import after backing up, and it definitely wouldn't
import.

So, with all that as background, my question is: Is there a place where
these types of things--bits and pieces that work for particular purposes
that can be imported easily--are shared regularly?  If not, does anyone have
something similar to that dump but for v18.05 that you are already using
with your non-marc librarians?  Something that leaves off all the marc
information (even if they fields are still being stored behind the scenes to
a marc21 format record of course, and just let's them enter the information
that they understand with labels that they understand?

Thanks so Much,
Robert Flach

--
Sent from: http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/Koha-general-f3047918.html