[Koha] Unable to enter Data in 100$a

Caroline Cyr-La-Rose caroline.cyr-la-rose at inlibro.com
Tue Oct 23 03:21:35 NZDT 2018

Hi Rajesh,

There are several options for using authorities when cataloging. Your
settings are now at option 1, which is the safest, in my opinion.

1) Only allow existing authorities in authority controlled fields

Pros: ensures you don't have duplicate author names or subject terms

Cons: takes a bit longer to catalog since you have to search for the
authority record

Settings:

- BiblioAddsAuthorities: don't allow

Steps to catalog:

- When you want to enter data in 100$a for example, it will be locked.
You need to click on the little rectangle with a pen to the right of the
field.

- From there, you will be able to search for an authority (or create a
new authority)

- Once you have found the authority you need, click on "Choose". The
data will be entered automatically and the biblio record will be linked
to the authority record.

2) Allow catalogers to enter data in authority controlled fields and
create authority records from that data

Pros: Use authority records to link biblio records

Cons: Will create duplicates if catalogers are not careful

Settings:

- BiblioAddsAuthorities: allow

- AutoCreateAuthorities: generate

Steps to catalog:

- When you need to enter data in 100$a for example, click on the little
rectangle with a pen to the right of the field and search your
authorities to see if the author's name already exists

- If it does exist, click on "Choose"

- If it doesn't already exist, you can type in the name of the author
directly in the cataloging form

3) Don't use authority records at all

Pros: Fast and easy cataloging

Cons: Biblio records will not be linked together; if you need to change
an author's name for example, you will need to change each biblio record
individually; if you click on a author's name in the OPAC, it will make
a search with that exact name, so if other records have a slightly
different orthograph, they will not be found

Settings:

- BiblioAddsAuthorities: allow

- AutoCreateAuthorities: do not generate

Steps to catalog:

- When you need to enter data in 100$a for example, simply enter the
name in the box

I think that's all of it.

Regards,

Caroline

Caroline Cyr La Rose, M.S.I.
Bibl. prof. / Chargée de la formation et du soutien

Tél.  : 1 (833) 465-4276
caroline.cyr-la-rose at inLibro.com <mailto:caroline.cyr-la-rose at inLibro.com>

inLibro | pour esprit libre | www.inLibro.com <http://www.inLibro.com>