[Koha] Anonymous Search History

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Tue May 1 11:44:16 NZST 2018

On 2018-04-30 11:05 AM, Caroline Cyr-La-Rose wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to figure out the search_history table in Koha. Are anonymous
> OPAC searches ever added to that table?

A word of caution about "anonymous searches" and whether (or not) you
use a robots.txt file on your server (we limit to just a few search
engines, and have found ourselves obliged to "deny" at firewall level
Baidu and a couple of other abusive spiders.)

We still get +/- 300,000 "searches" per day and have written, totally
separately from Koha, an analytical tool at apache log level. It is
somewhat useful, but only after massaging the results to eliminate
google, other "permitted", and "rogue" (do not respect robots.txt but
are not yet in 'deny') search engines.

I would however strongly encourage your IT team to do something similar.
The number of abusive WordPress (wp) and .php crack attempts is an
eye-opener. Won't help your librarians, but is educational for today's
web. We do *not* record these results in the Koha db, which might well
get swamped, or worse, DDoS'd.

YMMV.

Best -- Paul

My EnableOpacSearchHistory