[Koha] Library Attendance Monitoring

Jon Knight J.P.Knight at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 06:07:21 NZDT 2018

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018, Ma. Victoria H. Silva-Manuel wrote:
> Can Koha be used as library attendance monitoring?

Do you mean keep track of users attendance based on book issues, or track
entry/exit via gates?  The former should be handled by the issues history
that Koha maintains.

We do the latter but outside of Koha (and Aleph, our previous library
management system). The data is anonymised but retains department/school
affiliation and class of user (staff, undergrad, taught postgrad, doctoral
student, visitor, etc).  The system was designed to ensure that the
library usage doesn't exceed the fire capacity of the building (at which
point the entry gates lock until someone leaves - happens occasionally
during busy exam periods).  The librarians look at it every so often to
see which departments have been heavy in-person users of the library
though.  The system is pretty bespoke to our set up though as it imports
data from our staff & student data feeds to match up card IDs to users and
then to departments.  You'll need to see what sort of data (if any) your
library barrier system provides and work from there.

Jon