[Koha] How to use housebound module?

Agnes Rivers-Moore arm at hanover.ca
Sat Mar 10 08:25:42 NZDT 2018

Hello Jonathan and friends

Thank you for the reply, and for building the housebound module!
We can see potential for this even in a small library, and definitely in a large system with a lot of people to track.

We have tinkered around with it a bit. I may not have found all the functionality, do correct me if I missed something.

Observations so far -

  *   We would like to be able to search on chooser/deliverer - to find volunteers to match with new housebounds.
  *   We would like a way to connect chooser/deliverer with housebound person at the profile level. This option only appears when setting up a specific delivery date (and has to be selected each time a delivery is added). Our volunteer deliverers would normally always deliver to the same patrons. Maybe a syspref for this option?
  *   We would like to see which patrons a chooser/deliverer delivers for, from the chooser/deliverer record.
  *   Housebound profile tab appears on all patron types. It would be nice to be able to specify which patron type(s) get that extra menu. (Looked in patron categories admin for a flag and there's nothing new there.)
  *   Profile text boxes are single-line - would be nice if the author list and notes boxes expanded with the content.
  *   Not sure what the intention of Referrer field is.
  *   Is there a way to view/print/report scheduled deliveries for a specific deliverer?or show on OPAC account?
  *   Can we extract statistics - number of delivery visits, number of items delivered... by housebound patron and by deliverer?
  *   Waaay down the development road - it would be nice if the deliverer had a profile with available weekdays, and Koha could report schedule conflicts if a patron delivery was set up for a day they were not available. Now that's really blue-sky thinking. It might be that linking Koha with an external scheduling app could achieve this.

I should say that our library does not need this module - our deliveries are few enough to track without Koha - but we think it could be very useful and we will definitely use the profile!
If enough libraries and developers are interesting in taking this further - I would like to help with usage suggestions and maybe content for the manual.

Agnes