[Koha] Automatic generation of Control Number and other numbers

bartsch at bauinternational-berlin.de bartsch at bauinternational-berlin.de
Sat Jul 28 00:10:28 NZST 2018

Dear Koha community,

My name is Susanna Bartsch, one-person librarian at Berlin International
University of Applied Sciences. I’m migrating to Koha, planning to go into
production with an own database from mid-September on. For the time being, I
have been using a provisional Koha instance – kindly provided by Michael
Kühn last June – to learn to use Koha. I guess I’ll be writing rather often
to this list in the next months, asking for your expertise. My questions
will surely be of a very basic nature, for which I apologize in advance.

The first part of my first question is about automatic generation of strings
with incremental numbers, specifically:

*	in bibliographic records: Control Number (MARC field 001);
*	in item records: Inventory Number (field i).

I have been closely reading the Koha 18.05 manual and this list’s archive,
and I found many, many central and helpful features I’m successfully
experimenting with. But I don’t seem able to find any conclusive information
about the automatic generation of Control Number and Inventory Number.

The second part of my question is: Is it possible – and advisable – to
automatically have the following correspondences:

*	Control Number (MARC field 001) = Koha Record Number, but preceded
by some zeros,

e.g. Koha Record Number 1 --> Control Number 0000001;

*	Inventory Number (field i) = Barcode (field p),

e.g. 2018/0001?

Perhaps important:

*	I’m probably not migrating the old Control Numbers.
*	My predecessor didn’t record Inventory Numbers.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Kindly,

Susanna

--

Susanna Bartsch, MA
Head of Library

 <mailto:bartsch at bauinternational-berlin.de>
bartsch at bauinternational-berlin.de

 <mailto:library at bauinternational-berlin.de>
library at bauinternational-berlin.de

Phone +49 (30) 8105808-15

Berlin International University of Applied Sciences

(former BAU International Berlin University of Applied Sciences)

Heinrich-Heine-Str. 15

10179 Berlin, Germany

New address from September 2018:

Salzufer 6