[Koha] Koha Digest, Vol 148, Issue 21

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 18:33:05 NZDT 2018

Hi Farasat,

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 5:16 AM, Farasat Shafi ullah
<farasat.shafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Vinod
>
> My personal views as koha community user and part of volunteer LIS for koha
> it is not really a fit solution rather it will kill the spirit of community
> ,  contribution and volunteerism I.e many koha support providers are doing
> and free to do customization as per local need and if they think it is use
> full after some period they can push their customized features to community
> version QA to add if needed
> I would rather welcome if some koha support companies in India took you
> idea and do as I mentioned aforesaid

Taking nothing away from your FOE and personal opinion, crowdfunding
is actually one of the *good* ways to get new features /
functionalities aboard Koha. Especially for libraries in developing
countries that can not afford to foot the enter cost of development of
a new feature. And it is not applicable only for developing countries,
see http://devs.bywatersolutions.com

Even as community, we do work on ways to raise funds for future
developments. Sponsorship / co-sponsorship of features is one of the
major forward. Sponsors are also duly acknowledged in Koha's About
Koha (about.pl) page.

FWIW, most major features of Koha that exist today do so because these
were funded or sponsored by their original end users. Free Software
does not mean a free lunch OR writing software for free. The "Free"
bit is about the freedom that the software offers, in this case GPLv3.

cheers
indranil,

--
Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : +91-98300-20971
WWW  : http://www.l2c2.co.in
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg