[Koha] [EXTERNAL] [ByWater Partners] Connexion client alternatives

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Fri Apr 6 08:28:00 NZST 2018

Hi, Chad--

I'm just mucking along with Connexion Client.  When OCLC really cuts it
off, then I think I'll move to using Koha's advanced bib editor for
original cataloging, & probably importing/exporting via the Connexion web
interface (I'm not a fan of their newer product).  My future workflow may
be, e.g., Copy cataloging: produce & export a bunch of records in
Connexion, import them into Koha, edit, then any record that I've
significantly enhanced & want to upgrade in OCLC, export it to Connexion &
replace record.  Original cataloging: key in Koha, export, import into
Connexion & produce, then edit Koha record with new OCLC number.

I just print labels using Microsoft Word with the call numbers copy/pasted
into a Word document--Koha doesn't break LC call number lines correctly for
us & can't assemble a whole sheet of labels to laser print.  But we don't
have a large volume of cataloging!:)

I have to admit that I really don't like MarcEdit--I find it cludgy and
clunky and too slow.  I want to just key a MARC21 record as FAST as
possible with key strokes--mousing just slows me down.  And MarcEdit is yet
another interface in between Koha & OCLC, so I view it as just slowing me
down that way, too.

This is all very much my own personal opinion & workflow desires, and we do
have a low volume of highly-specialized cataloging with mostly original
cataloging, so my setting may not be similar to yours or, really, many
others!

For what it's worth, though, hope it's helpful!  Best,
h2
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Library catalog: http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/