[Koha] Catalog Search Relevance Ranking

Paul Hoffman paul at flo.org
Fri Nov 3 03:42:18 NZDT 2017

On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 10:17:33AM +0100, Michael Kuhn wrote:
> Hi Joel
>
> > Can anyone point me in the direction of a resource that will explain
> > how Koha determines relevance in catalog searches? Some of my
> > libraries have been asking about it since it's the default sort
> > option.
>
> I would suggest to start, as usual, with the Koha manual:
> * https://koha-community.org/manual/17.05/html/13_searching.html
>
> The actual relevance ranking is done within Zebra, you will find the "Zebra
> - User's Guide and Reference" here (unfortunately the link to this guide in
> the Koha manual is dead):
> * http://www.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/
>
> For relevance ranking start here:
> * http://www.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/administration-ranking.html

If this makes your head swim, try reading the first couple of paragraphs
(only!) in the Wikipedia article on TF-IDF document ranking:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tf–idf

That URL contains non-ASCII characters, so it might be problematic; if
it doesn't work, try this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tf%E2%80%93idf

Paul.

--