[Koha] Migrating Data from Koha 3.14 to Koha 16.11...

Samuel Crawford samuel.crawford at marianas.edu
Fri May 12 17:10:29 NZST 2017

Greetings, Koha Community!

I have a tech dilemma re: the Koha upgrade we're currently trying to
implement.

The issue was recently brought to our attention by the lead "support" in
our IT Department, Jovian.  Jovian is pretty stellar with systems computing
/ working the back end of things for us; he set up our initial version of
Koha (3.14) completely on his own, without a hitch.  He's now prepared to
help us set up the LATEST stable version of Koha (16.11, yes?), but he
could use just a bit of advice from you fine folks, if anyone has any tips
/ information to offer...  His recent messages to me are as follows:

1.
--------------------
*Currently we're running Koha 3.14 on Ubuntu 12..*

*We understand the new modules and requirements for the newer releases and
are looking to setup an Ubuntu 16 system with the latest version of Koha...*

*What we would like to know is the best, recommended way of migrating the
data from the old system to the new. I don't feel comfortable upgrading the
Ubuntu 12 to 16 and maintaining its integrity.*

*(**we do have a running Ubuntu 16 with the most current Koha build running
fresh. Now we just need to migrate the data. We could do it manually... but
key pointers may help)*
--------------------

2.
*I created a backup and am currently importing it into the new Koha
system.. it IS imported, but I'm running the schema upgrade. There have
been some errors... so I don't know how it will all work out. The errors
were due to duplicate entries and things like that so I'm not 100% on
whether or not this is an issue... *

*I will run the zebra index afterwards to clean up as much integrity as
possible before letting you guys take a stab at the new one (assuming it
will even load in the new system anymore...)*

3.
*So I tried a straight update of the schema from that old version database
to the new and there are just too many errors... duplicate entries, dirty
data etc. that cause it to not roll over well. *

*Patrons (or at least some) can still log in.. I can't login with the
koha_library account... but the database of books didn't appear to copy
over. More than likely there's some error in it that it just decided to not
import any of it... *

*We could try a manual import... but that would assume you could even login
with your admin rights.*

Could at least one of you out there lend your expertise and speak to the
issues Jovian's encountering, and how we might resolve them?  I'll be happy
to put him in touch directly with a fellow Koha community member, if need
be...

Thanks in advance for the help, guys!

Cheers,

Sam

*Samuel Judson Crawford*, M.M., M.L.I.S.
Academic Librarian
Northern Marianas College
P. O. Box 501250
Saipan, MP  96950
Phone | 670.237.6798
Fax | 670.234.0759
samuel.crawford at marianas.edu

--
Start Smart. Start at NMC.  Visit the Northern Marianas College website at
www.marianas.edu. <http://www.marianas.edu>

This message and any attachments may contain proprietary and, or
confidential information. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or
forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and
destroy all copies.