[Koha] [EMAIL CONFIGURATION]

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Tue May 9 11:42:20 NZST 2017

Hello,

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:31 AM, Freddy Pelayo
<freddypelayo8393 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, I've got a problem concerning the email configuration.
>
> First of all, Ive enabled the email by doing this
>

> koha-email-enable [libraryname]
>
> nothing happens.
>

> Then, I've installed postfix and configure it. But when I send a email to the person he doesn't seem to receive anything. I've read that the person has to allow less secure app... But I consider it inconvenient to ask the students to do that.

You seem to have gone at it in the wrong order :-)

The first thing to setup and tested is the MTA (postfix in your case).
Install the mailutils package and check if you can send out emails
from the command line using the mail command.

Hint: If the above does not make sense google up "using postfix as a
gmail smarthost". There are plenty of tutorials available that should
get you past this hurdle.

Second: the "enable less secure app" is *NOT* for your recipients. It
is for *you*, specifically for the gmail account you are trying to
send out email from.

Third:  send this gmail address as your library's email address in
your library details under Administration in Koha.

Once you have these in place, only then you should be moving to
koha-email-enable.

I hope you have replaced [libraryname] with your actual library
instance name when which you setup in the koha-create step.

BTW, if you name your instance correctly, on invoking
koha-email-enabled, it should show you "email enabled for
<your_instance_name>". If you make a mistake, it will tell you
"Unknown instance". For an already enabled instance it will show that
email is already enabled.

So "nothing happens" does not sound too good to me.

Once your have successfully navigated past this point, and your emails
are still not getting sent out, then check the mail log file for
possible errors. along with ensuring that your cron jobs are running
that typically send out the generated emails every 15 mins or so
(based on your cronjob config).

Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : +91-98300-20971
WWW  : http://www.l2c2.co.in
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg