[Koha] is koha right for our project run by volunteers?

Librarian Bruce A. Metcalf library at augustansociety.org
Tue Mar 14 00:08:36 NZDT 2017

On 03/08/2017 03:59 AM, King, Fred wrote:

> First of all, I should say that like everybody else on this list I'm > biased--I think Koha is wonderful, user-friendly, and a great >
product. That it's free and open-source is icing on the cake. It's >
also supported by a great bunch of people. > > Still, as much as I love
it, I wouldn't recommend Koha unreservedly > for everyone for all
purposes. It's a fully-functional ILS, and it > does take a little time
and effort to learn. > Though I always recommend Koha, a lot of people
there decide to go > with LibraryThing, mainly because they find it
easier to use and they > don't need all the (wonderful!) features that
Koha provides.

I have to agree on both points. Koha will do nearly everything a library
might need, and it gives you more flexibility than you might imagine how
to use (I've been quietly ignoring whole sections of its powers for now).

But you do need a server, someone to run it, and someone with a little
library experience to help you set it up (and explain the technical
terms). It won't be a zero cost project even if the software is free.

While I use Koha at work, my personal collection is online with
LibraryThing because all I want to do is to create a public bibliography
and perhaps a few trades with others in the very narrow field. For this,
Koha is overkill; perhaps so for your situation.

However, if you want to manage circulation or do anything else
"library-like", it's likely that you'd benefit from Koha. Just ask us
for help in turning off the parts you don't need. Check out both and see
which is the better match.

Regards,
/ Bruce /
Bruce A. Metcalf, FAS