[Koha] Independent branches

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Fri Jun 30 03:58:24 NZST 2017

We're looking into adding an independent branch to our instance of Koha
(16.11) -  a completely separate library with different circulation rules,
opening hours and etc.

Looking at this in the manual makes me wonder if we're going to run into
trouble.  Has anyone added an independent branch years after going live?
1.2.4.2. IndependentBranches
<http://manual.koha-community.org/16.11/en/administration.html#IndependentBranches>

. . . . .

   -

   This preference should only be used by library systems which are sharing
   a single Koha installation among multiple branches but are considered
   independent organizations, meaning they do not share material or patrons
   with other branches and do not plan to change that in the future. If set to
   'Prevent' it increases the security between library branches by:
   prohibiting staff users from logging into another branch from within the
   staff client, filtering out patrons from patron searches who are not a part
   of the login branch conducting the search, limiting the location choices to
   the login branch when adding or modifying an item record, preventing users
   from other branch locations from placing holds or checking out materials
   from library branches other than their own, and preventing staff from
   editing item records which belong to other library branches. All of these
   security safeguards can be overridden only by the superlibrarian, the
   highest level of privileges.

Important

It is important that this value be set before going live and that it NOT be
changed

--
Elaine Bradtke
VWML