[Koha] Koha and Dublin Core (and OAI harvesting)

Christopher Davis cgdavis at uintah.utah.gov
Fri Jul 21 02:36:15 NZST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

There is a digital repository indexing service named Mountain West Digital
Library (mwdl.org) which uses ExLibris' Primo to OAI harvest the Dublin
Core metadata records of digital artifacts found in digital repositories of
the Intermountain West of the United States. After Primo harvests the
metadata records, it then indexes them, making them searchable and
browseable. I was thinking with Elastic Search, why couldn't Koha replace
expensive Primo at mwdl.org. Maybe that is "comparing apples to oranges"?

I watched Nick Clemens update on Elastic Search in Koha, which he gave at
June's Koha-US meeting (https://youtu.be/hLkVtQ-UHMQ?t=6m4s), but I still
have questions. I would like to know how close Koha is to being able to
perform OAI harvesting of Dublin Core metadata records and then indexing
them the way that Primo does. mwdl.org, and similar institutions, could
then switch to Koha. I imagine that academic libraries, special libraries,
and large public libraries would save a lot of money by switching to Koha
from their expensive discovery layers if Koha, right out of the box, could
harvest and index various metadata schemas from their digital collections
(ebooks, digital photos, audio/video, maps, manuscripts, papers, etc.).

What do you think about this thought? Thanks for reading to the end of my
fantasy.

Kind regards,

Christopher Davis
Systems & E-Services Librarian