[Koha] Upgrade Koha 3.12 to 17.05

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Thu Jul 13 14:24:55 NZST 2017

On 12/07/17 21:17, Mesfin Teshome wrote:
> Dear all,    Can I upgraded Koha 3.12 directly to Koha 17.05? I am currently running Koha 3.12 on Ubuntu 14.04. I will really appreciate your help and feedback on this. Thank you.Regards,Mesfin

You'll need to be very careful.

First, current versions of Koha won't run on Ubuntu 14.04, so you need
to upgrade Ubuntu first.  Next, its a big upgrade, through 7 or 8 major
release versions of Koha, so there is inherent risk. Before you do
anything, take a backup.

The recommended way to install Koha is from Debian packages. See the
Koha wiki for info - there's a page for Ubuntu. That was not the case
back at 3.12 iirc, so that's another change you are navigating.

You need to find a way of creating your new installation without
destroying your old one.  Otherwise you could get stuck not being able
to go forward and not being able to go back.  Can you use a different
device?  If so, install Ubuntu, then install Koha 16.11 or 17.05 from
Debian packages, then install your saved Koha 3.12 database. Log in to
the staff client and you'll get the web installer, which will attempt to
upgrade your database to the current version.

The alternative is to do a conversion.  Export the data you need from
Koha 3.12 and import it into a new Koha 16.11 or 17.05.

Good luck.  Its much easier to keep your Koha version up to date.

Bob Birchall
Calyx