[Koha] Multiple OPAC interfaces

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Wed Feb 8 05:50:20 NZDT 2017

Hi Zeno

>> Is it possible to have just one Koha database but more than one OPAC
>> interface that is accessing the data?
>
> in my opinion the best option is many OPAC Virtual Hosts with different
> DNS CNAME each.
> In every VH setup you can insert different values for system preferences
> and you can hve different css, js, etc.

Thanks for your suggestion! I tried to find some information about
different values for system preferences in virtual hosts, via Google I
found some Bugzilla issues (10325, 16068) and some other hints, but no
official description (except one hint in chapter 2.1 of the manual).
There seem to exist variables like OPAC_CSS_OVERRIDE etc and also
OVERRIDE_SYSPREF_* which seemingly can be extended like
OVERRIDE_SYSPREF_opacbookbag for example.

I then configured a new virtual host in my Apache HTTP Server using the
standard OPAC configuration for port 80, but changing the port to 1080.
After that my OPAC is actually accessible via port 80 as well as 1080.

Then (as an example) I added the variable OVERRIDE_SYSPREF_opacbookbag,
so the configuration of the virtual host now looks as follows

<VirtualHost *:1080>
   <IfVersion >= 2.4>
    Define instance "svk"
   </IfVersion>
    Include /etc/koha/apache-shared.conf
    Include /etc/koha/apache-shared-opac-plack.conf
    Include /etc/koha/apache-shared-opac.conf

    ServerName svk
    SetEnv KOHA_CONF "/etc/koha/sites/svk/koha-conf.xml"
    SetEnv MEMCACHED_SERVERS ""
    SetEnv MEMCACHED_NAMESPACE ""
    AssignUserID svk-koha svk-koha

    SetEnv OVERRIDE_SYSPREF_opacbookbag 0

    ErrorLog    /var/log/koha/svk/opac-error.log
</VirtualHost>

I then restarted the Apache HTTP Server and also Plack - but there was
no visible change in the new OPAC (usually "opacbookbag" should hide or
show the Cart symbol). In fact I made many more experiments, but I guess
one example is enough here.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing anyway... Can you maybe point
me to some documentation about the correct changing of values for system
preferences?

Best wishes: Michael