[Koha] Installing Koha on Windows PC via Linux enquiry

Chris Brown chris at stayawake.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 00:19:24 NZDT 2017

Matt,

I agree with others, the way forward is to install Virtual Box onto
windows, create a virtual machine and install Debian Linux onto it, then
install Koha onto Debian following the instructions at
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_Debian

I am no Koha expert but I have successfully migrated our catalogue, our
patron data, and our list of currently issued books from an Excel
spreadsheet into Koha. Basic process is:
1. Export relevant sheets of the spreadsheet as CSV or Tab-separated files
2. Tweak the files into the format that Koha needs (I used little awk
scripts for this; Python would be another good choice)
3. In the case of the catalogue data I then used marcedit to convert the
CSV file into MARC records ready for import

Coming to this as a non-librarian by far the hardest part was figuring out
which MARC fields we needed to populate.

I would suggest that even though you might be hosting the VM on Windows,
this is going to be primarily a Linux-flavoured experience for you.

Contact me directly if you want; I might be able to offer further help.

Best Regards,

Chris Brown