[Koha] Why are koha emails queued?

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Wed Dec 13 06:51:17 NZDT 2017

Javed,

The reason that the checkin and checkout email messages use the message
queue is so that Koha doesn't send a single email message for each item
checked in or out -- instead, it creates a message for the first check-in,
and appends additional check-ins (or check outs, depending on the message)
in the message_queue.metadata field.

When process_message_queue runs, it generates the item detail bases on the
metadata, and is therefore able to send a list of all items checked in or
out.

It is possible to run process_message_queue as often as once a minute; my
guess, however, is that this will probably cause some timing issues because
process_message_queue will often be running while you are in the process of
checking things in or out. We try hard to eliminate race conditions, but
they're sneaky and tend to slip in despite our best intentions.

--Barton