[Koha] How to handle the support providers list (was Re: Spam from BestBookBuddies (OpenLX))

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 22:44:23 NZST 2017

Vinod:

Koha like most successful FOSS projects, work on a "honour" system where
everyone is expected to do the right thing. We do have a "code-of-conduct"
but that is mostly about diversity and other issues.

Further, everyone who maintains the website do so as volunteers. Expecting
them to start acting as police is probably not the best of ideas. I know
for a fact that Liz stopped volunteering on the PAID provider section
maintenance as she was sick of dealing with it.

The "X" no. of patch criteria does not solve anything IMHO for several
reasons. Patches are not linear entities. Often they get to be completed
only with active contribution of others. Most often, the patches are
credited to individuals and not the companies they represent. So what
happens when an employee dev leave and say joins another Koha service
provider? Who will get the credits? It may sound easy, but its not so
legally. Then how does a patch say one that permanently addresses the
auto-increment issue compare against 5 trivial string patch?

Basically, do we become bureaucrats OR do we write Koha?

Just my 2c

-Indranil