[Koha] [Koha-devel] [Important] Update your MySQL|MariaDB configuration to avoid data loss

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Wed Aug 2 16:12:03 NZST 2017

Hi Jonathan,

This still feels like a workaround to me and not a real long-term solution. If someone uses koha-create or koha-remove, they still need to remember to update that MySQL init-file, as that won’t happen automatically. I think it would require a lot of on-going maintenance that not all Koha users are able to achieve.

Plus, if they have a lot of Koha instances, that init file is going to be huge and difficult to manage.

I was thinking another option might be to add a trigger for borrowers, biblio, biblioitems, items, issues, and reserves, which makes sure that the number selected is higher than any existing number from the table or deletedtable. Of course, that might slow down inserts a bit. I haven’t tried it. If we use triggers, we could add/remove them along with koha-create and koha-remove dynamically. (See the comments of https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-auto-increment-handling.html#innodb-auto-increment-initialization). I think that would be a more elegant solution. I think it’s one that could also be handled via updatedatabase.pl for people upgrading without any administrator intervention.

I might actually look at implementing that locally. I’m happy to do that and report back. I use BEFORE INSERT triggers in PostgreSQL on non-Koha databases with a much higher volume of transactions, and they work well.  But I’m happy to try and then report back.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St