[Koha] Loading and Displaying PDF BOOKS

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Sun Apr 30 02:39:40 NZST 2017

Hi Luis

> I want to do this, if it is possible WITH KOHA:
>
> After cataloged a BOOK, i have it on PDF:
>
> Can i insert an URL so user can CLICK it and DISPLAY the PDF?

Yes, you can do it.

1. If you've got a PDF file already accessible somewhere, you can just
insert the URL in MARC field 856 $u. For example you can fill in the
following URL of an existing PDF file:

http://www.pdfscripting.com/public/FreeStuff/PDFSamples/JSPopupCalendar.pdf

Of course this can also be another link to any host in your own network
or in the internet.

If you want you can change the link text in MARC field 856 $y. However
in the staff client or in the OPAC you will then see the URL - clicking
on it will try to open the PDF file using the application that you have
linked to PDF files in your webbbrowser.

2. If you own the PDF file and you want to make it accessible from your
own Koha host you may configure Koha as described in
https://koha-community.org/manual/16.11/html/ch06.html#uploadbibfile

You will then get a new tiny little symbol at the right of MARC field
856 $u in your framework - clicking it opens a dialog and allows you to
upload your PDF file to your own Koha host.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes: Michael