[Koha] Linking subject authority records to 650 via MarcEdit?

Craig Butosi craig.butosi at rcmusic.ca
Thu Nov 10 04:33:52 NZDT 2016

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for responding.

Our bib records were imported from an Excel flat file. Before import, the data were structured and formatted as best as possible to conform to ISBD punctuation and AACR2r standards. I also did a huge amount of bibliographic enrichment. This included validating the 6xx, 7xx, and 1xx fields against LC Authorities/LCSH using OpenRefine's reconciliation service (an RDF plugin). The problem we had, however, was that the legacy data in the controlled fields in our old system were not controlled by a MARC-based authorities database, which meant that our fresh Koha instance was going to be without a populated authorities db from the start. As it stands, we now have to populate it from scratch. This is opportune, though, because we can create one that is clean and devoid of any duplicate RLINs. We're already up to 300 authorities since September.

>> But I'm at a loss to understand how you can "save" a biblio without the 650 creating its own (proper or duplicate/erroneous) RLIN.

Well, the Excel flat file data in 6xx, 7xx, 1xx, etc. did not contain a $9 subfield with RLIN number, because there was no extant authorities database to cross-reference. The result was fully-validated and parsed headings in these fields in our Koha instance, but uncoupled from an authority file (no $9). Slowly, we're trying to change that by linking authorities to bibs in Koha the expected way, though the staff cataloguing interface. However, if we can do this in batches via MarcEdit, being extremely careful, it would speed up the process immensely. I just want to make sure my methodology is not missing something.

Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons.)
LIBRARY SERVICES MANAGER
THE ROYAL CONSERVATORY
TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning
273 Bloor Street West
Toronto, ON M5S 1W2
416.408.2824 x338
www.rcmusic.ca