[Koha] Linking subject authority records to 650 via MarcEdit?

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Wed Nov 9 10:00:13 NZDT 2016

At 08:26 PM 11/8/2016 +0000, Craig Butosi wrote:
>Hi Brain Trust,
>Koha 16.05.03 on Ubuntu 14.04 (package install)
>I am seeking advice for the following:
>Problem: 650 field text in bib records are not linked to Koha authorities
>database (via $9), but the text itself has been validated against LCSH
>(using OpenRefine). In other words, the text is in its authorized form,
>just not linked to its auth record.

Question: how were your biblio records created? Manually? Z39.50? or some
sort of other "import"?

We have experienced, over the years, a few problems, but intrinsically can
see a "9 (RLIN)" for every 650 entry. The biggest problem is that if -- for
whatever reason, accident, stupidity, IT -- you have *two* authorities,
same text, different RLIN, and the cataloguer doesn't do a "search, choose"
for a 650, then you get yet *another* RLIN adding up to eventually hundreds
of non-cross-referenced but identical "authorities." If there's only one,
single RLIN, then Koha finds it, uses it, perfection...

I'm fairly certain that most of our "duplicate RLINs" were my fault when I
migrated ($deity forbid) Excel flat files through the 2010 version of
MarcEdit. I was wet behind the ears, knew nothing, and in a hurry -- it's
been biting me ever since ;={  And there's no (apparent) simple manner to
sort it out, except go manually through every authority...

But I'm at a loss to understand how you can "save" a biblio without the 650
creating its own (proper or duplicate/erroneous) RLIN.

Disclaimer: Koha 3.8.24 from tarball.

Best -- Paul