[Koha] Redundant infrastructure for Koha

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Tue Nov 8 09:05:50 NZDT 2016

On 8 November 2016 at 08:50, Michael Kuhn <mik at adminkuhn.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are looking for a solution to build a redundant infrastructure for Koha.
>
> What we want to do is shown in the diagram
> http://adminkuhn.ch/download/Redundant.png
>
> The main objective of such a solution is: If one of the Application Servers
> goes down the other will take over the job without losing any time. If the
> DB-Server Master goes down we will be able to build the Master out of the
> Slave and create a new Slave next to the new Master.
>
> Has anyone ever built such an infrastructure with Koha and can give us some
> advice how to proceed? Is this possible with Koha anyway?

Will shift this to Koha-devel

Yes this is possible and quite easy to do. What makes it tricky is
Zebra, which you have left out
of your diagram.
You either need to have the full zebra index on both your application
servers (which means modifying rebuild_zebraqueue to make
sure it gets built by each machine)
Or you need to use something like nfs or another distributed
filesystem. Or use rsync etc.

It becomes a lot easier with elasticsearch of course, because you just
have your elastic cluster
and they talk to that.

Hope this helps

Chris