[Koha] Publisher Authority Type

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 10:23:31 NZDT 2016

Hello Krishna ji,

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Krishna K <krishna.moorthy94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the school library where we are setting up Koha, as part of migrating
> data, we plan to set up a new authority type for Publisher. We would like
> to import publisher data from an excel into the publisher authority type,
> then import the biblio with references to these publishers. I am unable to
> find detail instructions for the same. Could any of you help me with this
> please ?

One of the things you can do about the publishers is to handle them as
authorized values. See
http://manual.koha-community.org/16.05/en/basicparams.html#authorizedvalues
and also http://manual.koha-community.org/16.05/en/basicparams.html#newauthvalcat

Typically I would add a new authorized value category - PUBCODE and
define the publishers in that. So if you have the authorized value in
your bibliographic data, Koha should map it to the "Description" value
in the authorized value.

> Also, which are the MARC tags we should use for illustrator, translated by
> and for editor fields ?

As for cataloging guide, this may help you
http://manual.koha-community.org/16.05/en/catguides.html

About what fields to use, the ones to look at are 100, 110, 111 and
corresponding 700, 710, 711, and also 245 (statement of
responsibility). For the 1XX and the 7XX fields mentioned here,
typically $4 (relator code) and $e (relator term) takes care of
identifying the role of person so named in the record.

Look up the following:

https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd100.html

https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd110.html

https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd111.html (in this case
relator term is mapped in $j)

Similarly see 700, 710, 711 from LOC.

Also see https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd245.html (see the
examples - particularly for 245$c; look out for "illustrated")

Example record:
http://library.brcindia.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=106

if you look at the MARC view of the record, the answer will be self-evident :-)

hope this helps,

Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : +91-98300-20971
WWW  : http://www.l2c2.co.in
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg