[Koha] OPAC searches fail with ICU indexing enabled

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue May 17 13:51:08 NZST 2016

Hi Andreas,

This problem looks a little familiar. I have a few questions.

You find 335 records using yaz-client. Are you able to view those records using "show" in yaz-client?

Also where are you seeing the following error:

> Error:
> :8: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
> Τιμόθεον Β΄-προς Τίτον-π ^

Is that in a file in your /var/log/koha/imp directory?

Also, those instructions at https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Correcting_Search_of_Arabic_records look a bit suboptimal...

Are you using packages? Did you run the following?

sudo koha-restart-zebra {yourinstance}
sudo koha-rebuild-zebra -f {yourinstance}

That parser error doesn't look super helpful... using Windows-1251 0xCF is Ï, 3C is <, / is 2F. With UTF-8, χ is 0xce 0xa7 and ό is 0xce 0x8c. So there isn't a clear relation there. If I had to guess, I'd say that Zebra thinks it's using ICU and UTF-8 but the data is still stored as Latin-1.

Failing that... I have some other more in-depth troubleshooting ideas.

David Cook
Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St