[Koha] Multiple Choice in Language Selection

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed Mar 16 11:30:44 NZDT 2016

On 13 March 2016 at 22:56,  <angelo.pugliese at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Multiple Choice in Language Selection
>
> I suggest that it could serve much better the Koha users
> if the Language selection, in the Adv. Search in Koha Opac,
> could be a Multiple Choice, instead as the Single Choice one,
> which now we have there, see:
> http://library.brcindia.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl ,
>
> It would be much better if the Opac users
> could be able to multi-select more than one language,
> by cntrl-clicking on them, etc.
>
> The point is that an 'advanced' search
> may naturally include
> two or few specific languages,
> like, for ex., if I want to find
> some texts in original Indic languages
> by classical Indian authors,
> I will NOT search for 'No limit' (= too many results)
> nor for Bengali, only (= too less results),
> but I would prefere to include in my search
>  both Samskrit and Bengali,
> since French and Italian, obviously,
> will not give me many relevant results.
>
> It should not be, afaik, really a big coding thing,
>  (unless this breaks the CSS of the Koha theme)...
> something that a good Koha programmer
> can do quite easily...:)

To change the HTML is easy, you are right.
Unfortunately there is a lot more to it than that. You would have to change
the underlying code that performs the search to be able to handle
searching on 2 languages.

This would probably be easier with ElasticSearch than Zebra, but that is
not in a stable release yet.
Either way, it would be days not hours of work.

Chris