[Koha] Announcing Donor Tracking Plugin for Koha

Bob Ewart bob-ewart at bobsown.com
Thu Jan 14 06:52:14 NZDT 2016

We use the patron data already in Koha; names, addresses,...

We export from QuickBooks via an Excel file.  It can be any accounting
package which can export to Excel, we started with Peachtree
Accounting.  The important thing to link the two packages is having the
Koha card number (not patron number) in an exportable field in your
accounting package.  We use the customer number to link the accounting
data to the patron.

You will need to do some preparation in setting up the accounting
account numbers/descriptions and whether they are tax deductible. (In
the US donations are deductible and book sales are not.  At the end of
the year you can generate letters to each patron showing how much was
tax deductible.)

There is also some set up needed for patron types and attributes. See
the documentation with the plugin.

Once that is done, just export all income to an Excel file and upload it
to the plugin.

Versions:

 1. Separate web-site (host:18080) written in PHP and hard coded to the
    Peachtree export. The accounting data was stored in the Koha database.
 2. Separate web-site re-written in Perl and hard coded to QuickBooks
    export.  Otherwise same as 1
 3. Re-written in Perl as a plugin.  All the hard coded things were
    parameterized so that you could tailor it to your needs.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but over the years we've been
through a number of Office Managers and several Executive Directors who
have all found it to be very useful.

We've made a number of changes to solve specific needs.  How do we...?
Generally do it this way..., occasionally we had to make some code changes.

The only major downside is in the coding style.  Over the years my Perl
skills improved so early code which didn't need to be changed looks
different from later code.  But that won't affect the use of the plugin.

I encourage you to try it and let me know how it goes.

I'll be happy to answer any questions as you get into it.

--
Bob Ewart