[Koha] Wiki certificate

Mirko Tietgen mirko at abunchofthings.net
Tue Feb 2 19:04:43 NZDT 2016

Paul,

Paul A schrieb am 31.01.2016
> a) Win XP has a market penetration of one in every nine or ten
> computers world wide;

According to w3cschools.com, Windows XP has a marketshare of 2,3%
(December 2015)[1]

> I might guess that this percentage is higher
> outside the "Western world" where libraries are perhaps just as
> important, or more so, than in "developed countries."

Citation needed.

> Nothing to do
> with pyramids, but whether or not the Koha Wiki is important to
> them, I'll leave up to you...

My guess is that this percentage is higher in western
administrations that rather pay extra support fees than get their
act together and migrate to a recent operating system, because they
rely on custom software developed around the time of pyramids that
requires XP.

I live in Berlin. 28.902 of 70.223 Computers the Senate of Berlin is
responsible for were runnuning Windows XP end of October 2014. They
paid 300.000€ to get extra support from Microsoft until April
2015.[2] At that point the data security officer demanded 10.000s of
Computers running XP to be shut down immediately. Microsoft agreed
to renew the support contract once again.

In this case the information went public. I really don't want to
know how many cases like that we have in Germany alone. I don't know
what the status is today, but I have guess.

Fun fact: There were also 320 Servers running Windows 2003 Server
mid-2015, the extended support contract was supposed to cost about a
million Euro.[3]

> As to paying Microsoft's licensing fees, we're a charity and prefer
> spending our budget on outreach to school children, rather than
> financing Redmond.

Which means you are running a completely unsupported operating
system on some of your computers. That's scary. Good to hear you
plan to end that.

-- Mirko

[1] http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
[2]