[Koha] Number of Koha Libraries in the Word

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Tue Dec 13 12:33:59 NZDT 2016

Hi Liz

> I'd really like to see Hea improved, and link to that instead. It is our
> own, open, data. It is fully voluntary. We can make the registration
> process easier for libraries - possibly as part of the installer. It is too
> hidden now.
>
> An API to Hea that I could pull from to use the data on the website would
> be a nice thing, but not a requirement. I'm happy to simply link to it.
>
> We have this tool, we should encourage more strongly the use of it, instead
> of depending on a third party with non-open data.

I feel like Hea isn't exactly what we need. In the manual it says the
Koha system preference "UsageStats" asks to share ANONYMOUS Koha usage
data with the Koha community.

As I understand it this data is not usable to create a map like the one
of Marshall Breeding or it is not really anonymous. Also I doubt this
data is really "open" - or at least I wouldn't know how to access it. I
can only see the accumulated data in http://hea.koha-community.org/

This page looks like a mere collection of numbers to me. Numbers make
only sense if you know where they are really coming from but the
"anyonymous" part forbids that. In fact I don't really see what's the
use of this page except to show some high numbers...

I'd be glad if someone could tell.

Best wishes: Michael