[Koha] Global system preferences changes not taking effect completely

Dalton Fury daltonfury42 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 06:54:20 NZST 2016

Hi,

I would like to report some strange behavior. It is a bit long story (feel
free to skip to the last three paragraphs), but please tell me what you
think about what is happening.

Initially we were running Koha 3.22.08. Due to some unrelated reasons, we
had to remove and reinstall koha. So we ran "koha-run-backups", and then
did an apt-get --purge remove koha-common followed by installing the
package again.

Everything seemed smooth except the fact that the circulation history get's
deleted when books are checked back in.

Fearing that something has gone wrong, we did a koha-restore. But
koha-restore always failed because the user 'myInstanceName-koha' already
exists.

I manually tried removing the user using userdel, but it could not be
removed because some other processing was logged in as the same user. Even
rebooting did not work, so I uninstalled koha, rebooted, deleted the user
and then installed back koha.

This time, koha-restore worked fine except for a lot of "ERROR: File exists
".

Now the problem is that whenever I change any value in the global system
preferences, it does not fully take effect. So it takes effect half the
time when I reload the page, and half the times it does not. For example,
if I allowed batch checkout to a category, it is allowed half the times I
try to do a batch checkout, and half the time, it is denied.

But rebooting the system results in the changes reflecting permanently.

I am very concerned as to weather I have done something wrong. Please tell
me what you think is happening. Or is this some new bug in koha that
everyone is experiencing?

Thanks!