[Koha] Koha for beginners

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:30:33 NZST 2016

Hi Mehvish,

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:55 PM, Mehvish Farah <mehvishfarah at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to Koha and have no library science experience.
> I am trying to understand MARC but stuck at the terms where there are some
> numbers with a dollar sign and then an alphabet. What is this basically?
> I would be grateful if someone can help me with a book or link that helps
> understand these terms or library/koha terms in general or in easy
> comprehension.

You reminded me of myself from some 13 years back, didn't even know
there was something as MARC :-)

Have you looked at - https://www.loc.gov/marc/faq.html ?

This book may be a good one by the way of a gentle introduction of the
concepts to a non-cataloger - "Cataloging correctly for kids: an
introduction to the tools", 5 edition -
http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=2893 .

Part of the book is online here https://books.google.co.in/books?id=pXaeMmeCA0UC

> other thing that i want to know is if a book is bilingual (Spanish and
> English or Arabic and English) , what should i write in Lnaguage code clumn?

Bilingual as in translations? For example say a copy of  Virgil’s
Aeneid with the principal Latin text along with parallel English and
Italian translations. Just enter the language code as latin, then
english and italian as repeated 041 $a entries and then noting down
the language code for Latin in 041 $h as the original language. (see
here for details :
https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/concise/bd041.html)

hope this helps,

Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg