[Koha] Koha in school library

Deb Vincent library at tggsacademy.org
Tue Apr 19 00:58:19 NZST 2016

Scott Owen <sowen at ...> writes:

> Deb,
>
> Depending how big your collection is.....it might be easier in the long
run
> (believe it or not) to just start from scratch.
> (bit of a learning curve, but once you "get it" ...it's all downhill)
>
> In the long run, this gives you an accurate inventory, up to date MARC
> records, and requires you to lay hands on every book so you can weed out
> the bent/broken/damaged.
>
> If you have the time, doing a small collection (ie: < 4,000 or so) is
> completely doable.
> (work on small pieces at a time -- ie; one shelf a day...)
>
> Otherwise, matching fields in the excel spreadsheet to the required Koha
> fields is covered fairly well :
>
> http://manual.koha-community.org/3.2/en/marceditexcel.html
>
> http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/data-migration-from-excel-to-koha-
td3062109.html

> Good luck !
>
> -S

Hi Scott
Much as I like the idea of starting from scratch, I don't have a lot of
time. Library staffing has been cut back to just me, for 3 hours a day. Not
enough time to run the library as I would like to, let alone switch to a
new ILS, but as my budget has also been cut, I don't have a lot of choice.
However, my current ILS is a bit of a dinosaur, and I like the idea of Koha
being maintained and developed by the community, so maybe I needed the push.
I will have a look at the links you provided.
Many thanks.
Deb