[Koha] Migrating 6 eLM System to Koha

Alex Shepherd kiwi64ajs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 18:50:01 NZST 2016

Hi,

This is my first post on this list and I have the unenviable task of migrating 6 Theological Libraries (in Asia) from the ConTec eLM system over to Koha.

These eLM system are the UNICODE variant to support the various local language holdings (Thai, Sinhala, Tamil, Burmese & English) in those libraries, which I converted from various bespoke systems over to eLM and did all the mapping/hacking/converting from the local language special fronts to UNICODE and did quite a lot of data cleansing during that process. So I’m hoping that this subsequent migration to Koha will be a lot simpler - once I know how.

I have had ConTec perform a trial export of one of the libraries and as an experiment I imported the biblio records file and it loaded the 30k items in about 30 seconds and I was able to search for records and find them so that was very encouraging.

However now I am needing to work out what to do with the rest of the data and hopefully figure out a path that will allow me to batch convert each library from the ConTec eLM Export files.

I’ve been educating myself about Koha but as I’m not a librarian (I’m an experienced and resourceful IT Software Developer / Architect in Hamilton NZ) my library skills consist only of what I have needed to know and figured out to make eLM “work” and not necessarily be “awesome”.

While googling "koha ELM migration” I came across a thread discussing some migration scripts from an eLM export here:

	http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/Instruction-document-on-items-holdings-migration-td5757420.html#a5757425

After some more googling I found what I believe this the migration tool here:

	https://gitlab.com/catalyst-koha-migration-toolbox/koha-migration-toolbox/tree/master/migration/eLM

Is this the best place to start with eLM migration or are there better resources?

Who are the best people who may be able to help or advise me on this process?

I’m doing this on a voluntary basis but I may be able to get some $$$ to pay for some migration support assistance.

TIA

Regards

Alex Shepherd

p: +64-7-829 4441