[Koha] How configure OAI

Steve Sowder sowder at andrews.edu
Fri Sep 11 02:43:12 NZST 2015

It has been a year since I set up OAI on our system.
So, if memory serves, I turned on the OAI database and designated a marc
tag to identify what field to hold the set name.

>From experience, it has to be an indexed field.
I used tag 595 subfield 'a'.

You also will need to set how many records you will deliver per request.
I set ours to 500. But, it could have been 2000 with no impact on the
server.

Note: If you have multiple set names Koha will only use the first one.

I don't know anything about SOPAC2. I did not set it up nor do I know if
it exists on our system.

Once it was set up I tested by using a browser to sent a request.
In a browser I sent it to the "page" at:
http://koha.andrews.edu/cgi-bin/koha/oai.pl?verb=Identify
(Obviously use your own sitename in place of 'koha.andrews.edu')
If all is well it should sent you a XML response that identifies the OAI
database.

The verb on the end tells it what you want to receive.

Other "pages" I found useful are:
http://koha.andrews.edu/cgi-bin/koha/oai.pl?verb=ListSets

http://koha.andrews.edu/cgi-bin/koha/oai.pl?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&set=SDAPI

http://koha.andrews.edu/cgi-bin/koha/oai.pl?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=marcxml&set=T590

Note: if you don't specify the set name (or spell it wrong) you will get
_all_ records. In our testing we preferred that.

Something I learned (but everyone else seemed to know already) is that
OAI-PMH compliance isn't about the database. It is the interface. The
interface receives a request from a computer (or a human via a browser),
queries the database and send the appropriate response to the requester.

[In theory the database could be a flat file if not too large. Less than
about 10,000 records should be fine.]

Hope my ramblings help.

Steve Sowder                  Systems Librarian
sowder at andrews.edu           Andrews University