[Koha] Is anyone using EAD for finding aids

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Tue Nov 17 05:44:41 NZDT 2015

Hello!

> My agency is looking into using EAD for our finding aids.  Is anyone
already
> using it and how is it working for you?

It works very well for us!  Our archivists upload the EAD finding aids to
the Online Archive of California (the OAC)--before this was available, they
were uploaded to our website, but the OAC offers a lot of great
functionality, not to mention the larger context of archival collections
available in California:
http://www.oac.cdlib.org/institutions/San%20Francisco%20Maritime%20National%20Historical%20Park

Then I create a catalog record on OCLC/WorldCat.org and our Koha catalog
with an 856 link to the finding aid:
http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/

Not all of our archival collections that are processed & available have EAD
finding aids on the OAC, but the archivists are working hard towards this
goal.  Also, some of the finding aids are very brief, and they're also
working hard on recataloging those collections & uploading more complete
finding aids.

I hope this is helpful!  Cheerio,
h2
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
http://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/museum-collections.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg