[Koha] loan availability of damaged items

Pablo Bianchi pablo.bianchi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 02:46:50 NZDT 2015

>> Maybe Koha should let you define exactly which situations imply item is
>> unavailable/not_for_loan.
>>> as a result of a search, which is misleading for the user, since it is
>>> still possible to check that item out.
>
> As far as I understand it, the goal of the display in the OPAC is to
> prevent patrons from looking for items on the shelf which are not
> available because they are damaged. This is in contrast to focusing on
> preventing the user from checking out something which is damaged.

​That's not always the case.​ On undeveloped countries is very common to
have most of the collection on closed shelf, and also allow loans of little
bit damaged books.
Anyway, there is something contradictory: damaged items are marked as
unavailable (itemavailable = 0) on item-status.inc, but in fact *they are*
available, since user can check them out (force_checkout permission have no
effect).
If for any reason librarian want to hide specific items they already have
OpacHiddenItems syspref (BTW, I never found on any Koha the
OpacHiddenItems.txt
<https://github.com/fredericd/Koha/blob/master/docs/opac/OpacHiddenItems.txt>
).

> I agree that it would be nice to have more
​​
fine-grained control over
> both aspects of it.

​Yes, indeed! :-)
Do you agree we have a bug (the contradiction) and a wish (​fine-grained
control) here?