[Koha] Intro, and req for help :)

Richard Fernandez richf510 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 11:04:23 NZDT 2015

Hello all,

I am a Unix admin and Perl programmer by trade, but know very little about
library science :)
I have a friend who has built a community library in Ethiopia, and I have
volunteered to help with the catalog.

So far I've installed Debian Linux and Koha 3.18 and done the basic configs
of adding a library, and a "superlibrarian", but now I'm stuck with an XL
spreadsheet of ~10K books which I have to import. I've written a script that
will throw all my ISBNs against Worldcat's Classify, but that returns
MARCXML which, I guess, I would have to translate into MARC21.

Is this the best way? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I've found documents that walk you through manually querying with one ISBN
and then manually importing into Koha, but I need to automate this as much
as possible for bulk queries/imports.

Has anyone done this?

TIA

richf