[Koha] Hi from a total Koha beginner

Gianfranco Nicola/MFP gianfranco.nicola at museoferroviariopiemontese.com
Wed Jun 17 00:27:50 NZST 2015

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your answer. In fact, i am just going to extract as much data as possible from the legacy database (which is SQL Server) as a CSV file, then I will try convert it as a MARC file. In Italy, National Libraries use UNIMARC, so I configured my Koha instance that way.

My major difficulty at the moment is to understand how some informations that are stored into the old program's database can be transferred to Koha
For example: the old program associates each book with one or more topics (like "steam engines"; "steam locomotive boiler parts"; "signalling"; "traffic control", and so on); where are to be stored these topics in koha? I can't find any place, at the moment.

But right now I am wondering if these informations _should_ ever be transferred, because - if I understand right - these topics relates to "classify" a book, whereas registering it in the catalog is just that: "cataloguing" it. And , if I am right, Koha catalogues pre-classified books, and doesn't allow to classify a a book from scratch. Is that right? If not, how to do that?

Another question is, in the old database books and authors are linked by a many-to-many relation; so, when extracting records, this gives multiple rows in the CSV, each with a different author;  the same with publishers.  How can I handle this?

Thanks in advance,

Gianfranco