[Koha] transfers to receive- checking in books: more info

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jul 30 11:31:06 NZST 2015

Amy Schuler schreef op wo 29-07-2015 om 12:44 [-0400]:
> I just looked in global sys preferences > libraries and see that there
> is
> only one library, Cary Institute Library, code CARY indicated here.
> So I
> am not sure where lower case 'Cary' is coming from, or how to merge or
> get
> rid of it without really messing things up.

The quick way to check is to look directly in the database, that way you
know you're seeing things without being filtered by Koha first. For
example, see what distinct home library codes your items actually have:

SELECT distinct(homebranch) FROM items;

(replace with holdingbranch to get the current location.) If you have
more than one result here, then somehow you've ended up with strange
data in there somehow, and you can go from there to work out what items
are affected. In the results, pay attention to case (it should be case
sensitive, so any difference in capitalisation is a different result),
and the possibility of leading/trailing spaces, which will also count as
a different result.

If this doesn't give you a place to start, do some experiments, for
example pick on an item and get all its fields:

SELECT * FROM items WHERE itemnumber=<<itemnumber>>;

do the things that cause it to change, and compare what the results are
afterwards. If you do this, rigorously document everything otherwise
it's probably going to not be useful.

Also, have a look in the branches table:

SELECT * FROM branches;

to see what's actually defined there. In theory, you shouldn't be able
to have an item that has a home/holdingbranch that isn't in there, but
in practice there are ways that can cause the rules to get broken.

One thing your email didn't say was whether this occurs all the time, or
whether it's only on certain items.

This should let you see where the funky data might be coming from, once
you can see what the incorrect case is, fixing it should be a lot
easier.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.