[Koha] links in the 856 field

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Jan 27 07:14:30 NZDT 2015

Wondering if this would be a workaround?
If you made the link to a site that required a login would that control the
access? If someone was connecting from a library computer, you could set up
an autologin so readers could go straight through.  But without that login,
someone from outside could not get in. It's not perfect, as readers using
their own laptops would probably like to be able to go directly into the
site.  But there are also some clever tricks you can do with limiting
access to certain IP addresses, you should talk to whomever handles the
technical side of things about that. In either case, it would have to bolt
onto the front of whatever site you're using to store the digital material..

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 6:43 AM, Katrin Fischer <Katrin.Fischer.83 at web.de>
wrote:

> Hi Heidi,
>
> you can't control the access to your URLs with Koha. If the link is
> generally accessible in a browser, it will be too from the record in
> Koha, if you are logged in or not.
>
> There is a way to hide records unless you are within a certain IP range,
> like in the library. But that is only about visibility and the links
> would still be accessible directly, for example if someone copied the
> URL or imported the records into some reference management software.
>
> Hope this makes sense,
>
> Katrin
>

> Am 23.01.2015 um 20:32 schrieb Heidi Addy:
> > Hi,
> > How do I set the permissions behind a link that's
> > added to the 856 field?
> >
> > We want these links to ONLY be accessed through
> > our Koha site.
> >
> > I have a large archival collection that I want to be available
> > through an online link.
> > They will be collections of photographs, scanned documents,
> > or digitized AV materials.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Heidi

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)