[Koha] Cataloguing in Koha

James Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 00:14:14 NZDT 2015

On 19/02/2015 10.48, Diana Haderup wrote:
> I'm new to the list and have a question concerning cataloguing in Koha (version 3.16.04).
> It pertains to the MARC fields 110/111 or 710/711 respectively. All of them have the First Indicator in common, which is defined as follows:
>
> First Indicator
> Type of corporate name entry element
> 0 - Inverted name
> 1 - Jurisdiction name
> 2 - Name in direct order
> (see:http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd110.html)
>
> The LOC examples did not help much to interpret the meaning of the first indicator. Can somebody shed light on how to understand the numbers' descriptions and when to choose which number?
> I'd be grateful for examples as well.
I don't know if this is the list for regular cataloging questions. Most
of those go to lists such as Autocat. To answer your question:
The "2" is used in most cases. The "1" is used with some kind of
government agency where the government agency controls a jurisdiction
(national, down to local such as a city). Therefore, you will see in the
examples:

110    1#$aUnited States.$bNational Technical Information Service
110    1#$aMinnesota.$bConstitutional Convention

because the US and Minnesota are jurisdictions, while any
non-jurisdictional agency will have a 2, e.g.

110    2#$aInternational Labour Organisation.$bEuropean Regional Conference

because while the ILO is a inter-governmental agency, it is not a
jurisdiction.

But note. There is also

110    2#$aCatholic Church.$bConcilium Plenarium Americae Latinae

where the Catholic Church gets a 2 because it is not a jurisdiction, but

110     1_ |a Papal States. |b Congregazione del buon governo
and
110     1_ |a Vatican City. |b Comitato centrale del grande giubileo
dell’anno duemila

these get a 1 because they are jurisdictions.

This also goes for references, e.g.
110     2_ |a New York Public Library
has a reference
410     1_ |a New York (N.Y.). |b Public Library
as a subbody of the jurisdiction of New York City.

Determining whether bodies should be entered subordinately to larger
bodies or not can be difficult. It can be especially tough for
government (jurisdictional) bodies. The rules for AACR2 are 24.17-24.19,
plus the RIs at
https://sites.google.com/site/opencatalogingrules/library-of-congress-rule-interpretations

Whenever I explain these things, I have to stop and discuss why
cataloging rules can be so complicated. Often it makes sense but in this
case, I have never in my life seen how a 1 or 2 makes any difference in
searching or display (I have never run across a 0). In theory, I guess
you could have the "1" file differently from the "2" so that you
could--in theory--get government bodies filed separately (if anybody
would want it), but it wouldn't work anyway because the rules for
determining the form of name of a subordinate body are so obscure it
would be almost totally arbitrary. For instance as we saw,  "New York
Public Library" is *not* considered a subbody of the jurisdiction of New
York! Although it is! It's only a reference. Explain that to a member of
the public!

And how these forms will be at all relevant in the world of linked data,
I really cannot imagine. These are some of the issues I have hoped the
world of cataloging would address, but they haven't. Oh well, back to work!

--
James Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com First Thus
http://blog.jweinheimer.net First Thus Facebook Page